My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.sarahantz.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

How was it for you?

Something that really fascinates me is how I can read the same book or see the same movie as someone else and have a totally different reaction.

And this reaction can be extreme, to say the least. And I don't just mean the difference between guys and girls. I understand perfectly that a chick flick or chick lit might not be so enjoyable to guys. But between girls. And girls who are my friends.

So, it got me thinking. What is it about a book that makes me love it? That makes me want to pick it up every hour of the day, at the expense of everything else - much to the annoyance of my family.

Is it just the characters? I don't think so. As much as I relate to characters.... clearly, otherwise there would be no incentive to see what happens to them... it's plot. I love action. I like my books fast paced, with elements that keep me guessing, and lots of different things happening. And I hate description... I always flick past those pages. In fact if there's too much won't continue reading.

Movies, it's more balanced. I have to love the characters, but I still want the action. If I take my favourite movie 'Love Actually'. Definitely character driven, but so much more. There's always something happening. And they cut away from the action just at the right time, so I'm left wondering for a while what's going to happen next. And, of course, let's not forget the emotional pull of a movie like this. The characters make you laugh, cry, angry, frustrated.....

How about you. What is it about a book/movie that gets you hooked?

Comments:
I'm one of those weird ones...I actually like those descriptions. In fact, I sometimes get caught up in them. If there's too much action, too much jumping around, I get frustrated and sometimes even lost. I think what pulls me in is the characters and the fact that they're facing some interesting challenges. I just find myself wanting to know how they're going to deal with it all.
 
I'm with you Sara. And I'm sure my writing reflects my lack of description...lol. I'm doing a final edit/polish on a manuscript now and I find I'm adding an average of 20+ words per page. Probably most of those words are description.
I just started reading a book (thriller) by a best selling author. This is the first book I've read of hers. I like to read it when I get in bed because it puts met to sleep. This is not what I want from a thriller! But everyone wants something different so that explains why she's a best selling author.
 
Liz, I know what you mean about some books putting you to sleep, then there are others when you fight sleep like crazy because you have to keep reading.
 
Having just seen "The Queen", I have to say the character drew me in to that film. You totally believe Helen Mirren is the Queen of England. Clive Owen is another actor that mesmerizes through his acting—character driven action in either film or novel writing is what draws me into the story. Reading both adult and children's fiction, it's interesting to see how authors vary descriptive passages to meet the level of their reader. It's always a jolt to me after reading a middle grade piece and then picking up an adult novel, to see how extensive descriptions become for the older reader.
 
Alison, I thought The Queen was one of the best movies I'd seen in a long time. And, you're right, Helen Mirren totally draws you into the character. A superb piece of acting.
 
sara:
I'm opposite. To me, it's all about a complelling character that gets under my skin. The plot has to move--but if the character amuses me or intrigues me along the way, then it can even meander. I love Patrick McGrath more than any writer right now. And his are slower tales of psychological obsession. But those characters!
 
I'm like you with the flipping past description thing... One of my CP's is always on my case for not writing enough of it and you know... I never will... I don't like to read it? Why would I write it?

But, like Erica... I don't need a huge complicated plot. I just need someone fascinating to watch or read about and some kind of tension "what will they do/decide?" to keep me flipping the pages.
 
I like good dialogue. Bad dialogue will TOTALLY pull me out of a book.
 
I love to read everyone's different take on this. Totally fascinating.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?